Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 20:46:33 +0100
From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>Roxanna Panufnik gushes about the symphony calling it 'the most
>phenomenally exuberant work that wrings every last emotional and erotic
>drop of music out of its performers.' She calls it 'the most exhilarating
>work to see and hear live.'

Of course, I'll bite on this thread....  Don't know about it being the
"most" exhilerating work to see and hear live, but it's certainly amongst
the category "one of the".  Having heard Turangalila means Messiaen taking
his early musical notions to and sometimes over the top.  Significantly, he
turned into parially new realms after this.  But even more significantly,
his music retains the personal imprint.  This is one of the reasons why I
consider him the greatest of our time.

>Immediately following her contribution, is one by Mark-Anthony Turnace, who
>also comments on the work.  In it, he writes that he doesn't 'actually like
>Messiaen's music.  I find it cloying.  I don't like the religious thing and
>all that bloody birdsong!'

Cloying?!?!?! I think especially Mr. Turnace should know better. Lots and
heaps of things to enjoy there BESIDES the religion and the birdsong. To
name but a few:

1.  To me, the rythms of especially Turangalila parts 4 and 5 are
intellectually and physically irresistable.  We have always been
indoctrinated by Stravinsky's disciples that sheer rythm came to him
exclusively as in a dream when writing the Rite.  But just listen to ANY
Messiaen piece and you'll find out who really let free rythm in classical
music.

2.  Thinking of orchestral colour:  just listen to part 6.  How the piano,
rather than being the "concert instrument", it complements and fullfills
the basic flow of melody in strings and Ondes Martenot.

3.  Birdsong? Messiaen has repeatedly pointed out that bird music is
just no more than a starting point, maybe nothing more or less than the
insurance to structural integrity of some of his pieces.  What really
surprises me is that Mr.  Turnace refers to birdsong in connection with
Turangalila.  Which is one of Messiaen's works where bird-song, although
clearly present, plays a rather minor role.

4.  Religion.  Of course one doesn't need to be religious to like
Turangalila.  Period.  On the other hand, when Messiaen was asked what the
21st century music would be like, he answered:  t will be spiritual or it
will not be at all.  IMHO he's right as we have had more than a fair share
of meta-music, but than:  being spiritual isn't the same as being
religious, is it? Indeed, it does help if you have an open ear to what's
"behind".  If you don't, you'd better turn to Adams, Reich, Glass and the
likes.

>It doesn't seem possible they are commenting about the same thing.  Having
>been bitten by the Messiaen bug, I am very interested in learning about
>everything he has written.  Can anyone recommend a recording?

Yes, apparantly it's possible that they are writing about the same thing.
Just think of the fun that you (and I) have been bitten by the Messiaen
bug in spite of the Mr.  Turnaces of this world.

Want a few recommendations for Turangalila?

1.  Myung Whun Chung on DGG.  Excellent recording.  Very "physically
    moving".

2.  Chailly on Decca.  Excellent recording.  Perhaps the best band playing.

3.  Previn on EMI.  A little older recording but very acceptable.  Gets
    really into the spirit of especially part 6.

4.  Salonen on Sony.  Very analytically recorded.  Brings out the "spooky
    parts" very well.  The best if you really want to "analyse" the piece.

5.  I've heard that Naxos have something special in the pipeline as well.
    (crossing my fingers it will be Antoni Wit with his Polish forces).
    They have an excellent standard in Messiaen's music so far.

Looking around for other works of Messiaen? Try perhaps these:

1.  "La transfiguration" for voices and orchestra.  Arguably together with
    the War Requiem the biggest choir piece of the second half of the century.

2.  "Eclairs sur l'au-dela" for large orchestra.  One of his last works but
    also one of the best.

3.  "Trois petits liturgies", as Messiaen put it himself:  amongst all my
    children the one i have always been especially fond of.

4.  "St.  Francois d'Assise", where Messiaen sums up practically his
    musical universe.

5.  "Quartet pour le fin du temps", "Visions de l'Amen", "La nativitee du
    Seigneur", "Poemes pour Mi", etc.  etc.

Have fun.
Jos