Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 23:23:56 EST
From:
Robert Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
I have just given the new Mahler Fourth two complete listenings and it
has been a glorious experience.  Gatti is in love with this work and comes
dangerously close to milking a phrase a bit too much here or there, but
generally he has very good ideas of what to bring out in the work and how
to show you its structure that make a great deal of musical sense.  The
last two movements are particularly successful and Ruth Ziesak sings like
a childlike angel.  GREAT SOUND.

I felt Gatti's Mahler Fifth was just a little too wild but that is
certainly not the case here.

I am eager to read what other listers think.  Additionally, I look forward
to reading comments about Levi's Mahler Seventh which I have not heard yet.
There is also a new Mahler Seventh with Michael Tilson Thomas and the San
Francisco Symphony.

I am one of those collectors who can never have enough Mahler symphonies in
his collection.

Robert Palmer