Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 00:17:28 +0100
From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Len Fehskens:

>I thought the "riot" (Rite of Spring)was less about the music and more
>about the costumes and choreography of the ballet?

Great point that can't be made too often. Be it that Stravinsky took some
points to the limit, it would be well worth noting that Vic Maes in his
recent study on Russian Music clearly shows how Stravinsky's Rite is FIRMLY
ROOTED in the Russian tradition.  Although Stravinsky and his disciples
never tired of boring us with their stories how he "served as the medium
through which music of some unknown realm came to life", in fact most of
the tunes can be traced back as (agreed:  distorted) versions of Russian
folk song.

Of course I'm not denying the influence of the piece, and of course nobody
will be deaf to the immediate "impact" of this, but let's stop reproducing
CD sleeve notes.

Jos