Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:03:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (37 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

interactive exhibits last 10 years at the most.  Buildings last many decades, one hopes.  From my point of view trying to design the building to the exhibits or in coordination with exhibits is pretty risky if you are building interactive science center exhibitions.  In our most recent expansion projects we tried to make sure the building provided a robust infrastructure and didn't dictate the types of exhibitions that might be feasible in the future.  A mix of naturally lit and artificially lit spaces, more intimate and more open spaces, lots of ways of running and organizing wiring and lighting, good circulation, etc   We fed the building design to the exhibition designers and they built to take advantage of the infrastructure and aesthetics the building provided.  As the time comes to change out exhibitions, one decade later, we are that the architecture and the exhibitions can be so readily decoupled.

There are some building programs I have seen, very ambitious ones, where the architecture and exhibits are really integrated.  The most ambitious one I am familiar with is the new Natural History Museum in Salt Lake City, Ennead (nee polshek) and Applebaum really worked hand in glove on that.  I haven't seen it in person yet (I am going out there later in January), but I have done a bunch of panel presentations with those folks and they have a very compelling rationale and a beautiful looking project.

So there are obviously different approaches.  If you have specialized permanent installations like Cal Academy or the new Miami Science Center, both of which have aquaria, then of course exhibitry and building design must be closely integrated.

To the OP's original question: I *definitely* would not have the exhibition designer as a sub to the architect.  They are really different skill sets and I really would want them both as responsive to the client's interests and needs as possible.  If the concern is that you don't have staff who can manage both contracts separately, you can be sure the architect is adding expense to manage the exhibition design process, so you should be able to do it as cost effectively in house.

eric siegel

> 

-- 
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance 
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email 
without the consent of the sender.

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2