Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 16:13:19 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (61 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Jason,

They are two entirely different experiences. I don't think planetaria are outdated, they give people a sense of the night sky that all too often is invisible (I can't remember if it was Smithsonian or Nat Geo that recently had a really good story on light pollution). From a science center/professional standpoint, if kids don't have the opportunity to see the sky, how are we going to get them interested in astronomy and/or space sciences???

Planetaria can also be used for more than just sky shows, check out St. Louis Science Center, they redesigned their planetarium as an open dome, and provide very different kinds of experiences.  You don't have to be limited to the Christmas show or constellations.

To date me, I STILL remember my trips as a kid to the planetarium at the Hayden Planetarium (yes, waaaay before there was a Rose Center...) and remember the giant ceiling orrery and pre-show.  

Practically speaking, IMAX tends to attract an audience with an entertainment agenda, and is a cash cow.

Beryl

-----Original Message-----
>From: Jason Trinklein <[log in to unmask]>
>Sent: Sep 9, 2013 2:35 PM
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Planetarium vs. Theater/IMAX
>
>ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
>*****************************************************************************
>
>Dear ASTC,
>
>In the planning of a new science center, would you advocate for or against the construction of a planetarium? Is the planetarium a facility that is languishing in utility or is it a quintessential feature? In your opinion, would a theater such as an IMAX be of greater utility and value? For centers with planetariums, how practical is the dome for use with projectors for more than just sky simulation?
>
>Thank you in advance for your input, and a sincere thanks to McKibben, Rose, Ruggiero, and Buckingham for your thoughtful replies to my inquiry about credentials. The advisory board is starting to form and we are receiving a lot of positive support in our efforts to start our new science center.
>
>***********************************************************************
>For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
>Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
>
>The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
>
>To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
>[log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask]
(978) 749-9774

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2