Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 18:24:31 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I recently participated in a booksprint (http://www.booksprints.net/). Our end products were infographics, not a book, but I liked the approach and think it makes sense in the new publishing landscape. 

In the game industry, there are gameathons, which might have a lot in common with interactive development, but not entirely.

Joan

Joan Freese  |  Web and Print Producer  |  SciGirls 

tpt Twin Cities Public Television  |  651.229.1339    

[log in to unmask]

172 East Fourth Street  |  Saint Paul, MN 55101

Our mission: "Enrich lives and strengthen our community through the power of the media."

-----Original Message-----

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Gruber

Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:26 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: Agile Exhibit Development

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Given a couple of things about exhibit development, it may not be ideal/appropriate/practical to go fully agile--I'm thinking primarily of the need for an exhibit to be pretty much done at a single end point (agile in software usually means multiple releases of a product, 2.0, 2.1, 3.14 : ))--but I think pulling some valuable things from agile and going much of the way there is possible.

Having said that we're not fully successful at it in curriculum dev., some things are very useful: teams made up of different voices--design, curriculum, tech, admin.; iterative cycles of development instead of long timelines (that end up iterative anyway); pulling the "customer" voice in early and often; frequent check-ins... Many of these practices I do remember from working on exhibits at the Bronx Zoo, even though it wasn't called agile.

On Apr 16, 2013, at 8:52 AM, Carlyn S Buckler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology 

> Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

> **********************************************************************

> *******

> 

> 

> - Not to disclose too much of my inner geek, the Java Posse folks (podcast) have done several informative podcasts on Agile development process.

> 

> http://javaposse.com/java-posse-372-roundup-11-should-we-shoot-agile-i

> n-the-head-

> 

> It's my understanding that if you have several employees who can wholly devote their time to a project for week or two at a time, dropping everything else to be totally immersed in the process, this method can work very well.  It isn't necessarily appropriate for managers, etc. who have many things on their plates which need expedited attention – folks who are pulled in many directions most of the time.  I like the idea of using this paradigm for exhibition development – provided an organization has the FTE exhibition staff to support the method.

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> **********************************************************************

> * For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers 

> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

> 

> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

> 

> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from 

> L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

> 

> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the 

> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to 

> [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2