Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 19:12:25 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers

Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi Jason,

I recommend attending one of the regional Planetarium Conferences, and you'll get a good feel for where the field is...in both technology and programming.

From my experience, a Planetarium makes the case since it differentiates as a memorable, special theater environment when compared to an IMAX Theater.  I'd say many Planetariums have more of the private 'Black Box Theater' feel vs. an IMAX with an open 'Broadway Theater' feel.  Over the past couple of years we've seen marriage proposals in our Planetarium, nothing I have ever seen in our IMAX (not knocking the IMAX at all here).  Of course, many Planetariums have the stadium style seating now, and are becoming a hybrid with the IMAX.  Our Planetarium has one flat level of seating.

Projection-wise, Planetariums have whatever capabilities you need, be it night sky or digital shows.  There has been a huge amount of quality content created in the past 5 years, something I think has held the field back previously.  And to top it off, Planetariums have a natural, 3D immersive effect for the viewer, without the glasses.

I hope that helps.

--Jeff--

Jeff Rosenblatt

Director, Kansas City’s Science Center

Science City & Arvin Gottlieb Planetarium

Union Station Kansas City, Inc.

30 W. Pershing Rd.  Suite 400

Kansas City, MO  64108

Office:  816-460-2218

[log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----

From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jason Trinklein

Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 1:36 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Planetarium vs. Theater/IMAX

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Dear ASTC,

In the planning of a new science center, would you advocate for or against the construction of a planetarium? Is the planetarium a facility that is languishing in utility or is it a quintessential feature? In your opinion, would a theater such as an IMAX be of greater utility and value? For centers with planetariums, how practical is the dome for use with projectors for more than just sky simulation?

Thank you in advance for your input, and a sincere thanks to McKibben, Rose, Ruggiero, and Buckingham for your thoughtful replies to my inquiry about credentials. The advisory board is starting to form and we are receiving a lot of positive support in our efforts to start our new science center.

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the

message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to

[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2