Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 08:21:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hey Glen:

One of the key ideas of nanotechnology is self-assembly.  During the prototyping phase of NISE, one of the museums participating (i believe it was OMSI) prototyped an interactive that was built around an air hockey table.  If that is not familiar to you, it is a table about 2 meters by 1 meter that is perforated with a fan below that forces air through the perforations.  The hockey puck floats on this cushion of air.  This prototype had biomorphic looking pieces with magnets (if I recall), and as the pieces floated, and the right shapes/polarity of magnets approached each other, the pieces "self assembled."  It wasn't entirely worked out, but as a prototype, I thought it had a lot of potential.

We worked with Zack Simpson of Mine Control to create a couple of interactives that you might want to look at.  They are digital/av and probably not so much for your project but they may trigger some ideas.  If you go on his web site (www.mine-control.com), you will see them listed as "crystals" (about nucleation of ice crystals) and "mixing molecules"  (about, well, mixing molecules).

I would also look at too small to see to see if any of the interactives in that set off any ideas.  I think the thing I like best about TSTS is that it is based upon 4 very simple principles of nanoscale science:  all things are made of atoms, at the nanoscale, everything is in motion, and a couple of others, as well as some good research on how kids understand the molecular scale world.

BTW, I would suggest not being thrown by the nano word, but look at other kinds of chemistry and or materials science interactives, such as molecule building activities.  The idea that molecules have shapes is of course a key idea in nanotechnology.

Its a tough topic, and I do recommend at least glancing through some of the audience research that NISE did, both front end and formative, to give you an idea of what people already know and what are the gaps in understanding and concerns.  

For example, people are currently expressing greater concern about the health effects of nano scale particles.  one could imagine an interesting scale exhibit that helps people explore those concerns with some scientific basis.

I love your idea of engaging engineering "cadets" (I love the fact that there are such things!) in developing exhibitions.  We have done the same with design students and have had some successes.  If you have a chance, either online or offline, to share some of the exhibits that you have made with these students, I'd be glad to see them. 

Best,

Eric Siegel
Director and Chief Content Officer
New York Hall of Science

> 
> 

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2