Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:21:02 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (59 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I agree.  The IRB is relatively easy, but seems weighty.  Centralization and institutionalization via ASTC, could serve as a key organizing feature for museum studies more generally, and would rest with a body that has the greatest vested interest but not be individually museum specific.
C
On Mar 29, 2011, at 8:57 AM, Mary Nucci wrote:

> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.
> *****************************************************************************
> 
> Martin wrote: " With approval from an IRB you can use human subjects and we do it all the time in research projects related to
> understanding use of exhibitions in science centers."
> 
> I agree with Martin that ultimately IRB approval is relatively easy, especially if working with adults and not children; given the kinds of questions that are typically asked in educational institutions, IRB submission is eminently do-able.  Although I have not worked in museum settings under IRB requirement yet, my work is always liable to IRB approval, and I have had few issues in academic or cultural venues with doing research.  I like the idea of an ASTC IRB, but wanted to note that you can find independent IRB-associated groups to work within to file for human research approval.
> 
> Mary Nucci
> Rutgers University
> 
> ***********************************************************************
> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
> 
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.
> 
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
> 
> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
> [log in to unmask]

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are my own and should in no way be construed or attributed to the Exploratorium or related organization, and do not represent an institutional position.

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.
San Francisco, CA 94123
[log in to unmask]
Tel:   415-561-0319
Fax:  415-561-0370

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2