Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:48:32 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (64 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

As long as you're merely rapidly and temporarily holding and moving beakers, cups, balloons, etc AND not holding the equipment in your hand in one location on your hand for a long period of time, you can use standard rubber chemistry gloves from any of the typical science supply catalogs (Flinn, Fisher, Frey, Nasco, Carolina, etc). This will more than protect you from the occasional small splash and spill. Keep shifting the prop from hand to hand every few seconds so your point of contact doesn't get too cold and freeze without your knowing it. These standard rubber chemistry gloves will even keep you safe if you VERY rapidly submerge your hand/finger for a single second, or pour a few drops of the liquid on your hand and IMMEDIATELY let it roll off your hand. You will want to examine the gloves for cracks and tears before each and every show, and replace them as they start to get smelly due to the build-up of sweat and microbes inside the gloves from your hands. Fortunately, these gloves are not expensive. 

If you plan on greater contact time with the liquid nitrogen (more than a second or two), you will need something with much, much  greater insulation ability. In my professional opinion (I've done liquid nitrogen demos since 1977), it's NOT really necessary to do these more extreme experiments to emphasize basic temperature, thermodynamics and states of matter concepts. If you are inclined to go this route, you must get gloves that are 1) specifically designed for very low temps, 2) highly insulated, 3) must be coated such as with PVC, and 4) NOT porous on the outside contact area. Some sources on the market can be found in the McMaster-Carr catalog (look in the "gloves" section and find "cold protection gloves") or at Protective Industrial Products http://www.pipusa.com/products/products.asp. In the past, I have used #7304 for a quick one-second dip of my hand into liquid nitrogen. They probably have new and better gloves now. As you mentioned, low temperature gloves for these extreme experiments are bulky (you won't have good flexibility to work with your props), often have poor grip surfaces to hold beakers, and can be expensive. They too, need to be replaced on a regular basis. 

Please note - You will NOT find any glove company which makes insulated gloves that will recommend, suggest, or even want you to consider high contact time (more than a few seconds) with liquid nitrogen. This educator feels the same way, and I therefore take no responsibility if anyone reading this information loses a digit or five.

P.S. Definitely don't forget the goggles and maybe even wear long sleeves!

Martin S. Fisher 
Director of Education 
Nauticus, the National Maritime Center 
One Waterside Drive 
Norfolk, VA  23510 
36°50'51"N   76°17'53"W   13 ft.                             
phone: (757) 664-1003, (800) 664-1080 ext. 41003 
fax: (757) 623-1287    cell (757) 617-7080 
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>        www.nauticus.org <http://www.nauticus.org> 

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 11:38 AM
Subject: Cryo Gloves

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Hi!  Does anyone know where I can find Cryo gloves that we can use when
doing Liquid Nitrogen demonstrations?  I found some that are either quite
expensive or too bulky for the demo.  Thanks for your help!

Jennifer Tuxen
Director of Exhibits and Programs
Sci-Port Discovery Center

More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

More information about the Informal Science Education Network and the
Association of Science-Technology Centers may be found at http://www.astc.org.
To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2