>What I am asking is..... If a mother does have the normal fat reserve and >her baby does not gain well can she increase the fat content in her own >breastmilk by eating foods higher in fat? Now, from the statement that is in >WAB I believe the answer to my question is no. Am I correct to believe this? I tried to resolve this question a couple of years ago, and found a paragraph in Ruth Lawrence's book that, after re-reading it a dozen times, seems to imply that increasing cholesterol foods in the diet can, in fact, change the *kind* of fats in the mother's milk to the kind of fats that increase weight in the baby. The mom whom I was working with began to eat high cholesterol foods and her baby did begin to gain weight. Also, with added fats of all kinds, she began to see some fat on the top of her cooled milk, where before the dietary changes, she saw none. I know that most of the studies refute this, but perhaps the studies were done before the present low-fat/no-fat craze in the US. There are many women who eat very little fat, and almost no cholesterol. IMHO, this kind of diet could affect the fat content of the milk. Pat Gima, IBCLC Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA 0000,0000,ffffmailto:[log in to unmask] *********************************************** The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM) mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to: http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html