I posted a few weeks ago on a client whose baby had a lingual frenulum clipped, but the prominant labial frenulum seemed to be causing continued pain with breastfeeding. The mom was pumping and giving a bottle some of the time and feeding at the breast when the pump wasn't draining the breast. The nipples were still hurting, but she could take it a couple of times a day. We were working to re-train baby's suck after the frenotomy. Then her 3-year-old got an upper-respiratory virus and ear infection, Mom got virus also, and felt too rotten to pump, then Dad got the virus. Amidst all of this "fun" they had to gather up records for income tax filing. (What a mess!) So, needless to say, breastfeeding lost out. She was still pumping for comfort on her way to weaning. I went on vacation, and when I returned I called her and she was of a new mind (and body). She thinks that she would like to increase the breastfeeding and feels more up to working on it now than she did postpartum. When baby feeds (twice a day) now, it doesn't hurt. So the labial frenulum is not causing soreness now. Interesting. I have a LLLL friend whose baby wouldn't open her mouth wide for latch and her nipples were sore for a while, then were fine. She nursed until the baby was almost 5. As her teeth came in, it was obvious that she had a serious labial frenulum problem, and recently had surgery to correct it. So, I guess if mom will continue with breastfeeding, that part of the frenulum problem may resolve, but the dental part must be taken care of later. A search of the archives gave me some stories of continued discomfort until the frenulum was excised with surgery. Pat Gima, IBCLC Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA 0000,0000,ffffmailto:[log in to unmask] *********************************************** The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM) mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to: http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html