X-Mozilla-Status: 0001 Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 18:06:36 -0700 From: ANN G CAGIGAS <[log in to unmask]> Organization: BFSC X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.01KIT (Win16; U) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Baby who won't nurse References: <[log in to unmask]> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Kathy Dettwyler wrote: > > Your description of this baby sounds exactly like my experience with my son > with Down syndrome. Is there a chance, even a remote one, that this baby > has some undiagnosed problems, such as Down syndrome (perhaps Mosaic Down > syndrome) or a heart defect? > > Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D. > Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition > Texas A&M UniversityHI Kathy, Thanks for responding so quickly. This baby has a bilateral aortic valve of which the docs feel could or may not be a problem. Skin color is good, nail beds pink. Baby is seeing a cardiologist next week. This syndrome can have many manifeatations, delayed motor is primary. This is the second baby with the same, I saw #1 for poor suck and consultation on how to supply cholesterol and maintain BF (7 years ago). Baby did well after a few weeks. This baby does not like the Haberman but got hooked on finger feeds real quick, 2 days. Today she fed better at the breast so mom is going to try to syringe feed until we get the results of the serum prolactin levels. She did use the SNS, short term with last baby, but baby preferred the breast with out-it. The genetitist? has been following her all along. Mom is going to give me the web site number for more info on this syndrome. I haven't access to the library at GUH as of yet since I'm still in that recooperative post surgery stage. Baby looks funny, ears are low and odd shapped. She is tiny but feisty and determined when awake. Thanks, Ann