I wanted to update everyone and most especially Cathy WG about my grandson who will soon turn 2!  If you were here two years ago, you have heard the story of his posterior tongue-tie which we couldn't get clipped until he was almost 4 months old because my dd and sil lived in Honolulu at the time and it just wasn't an easily identifiable tongue-tie.  With help from Cathy and also from Dr Coryllos, the ENT there did finally understand the problem and the procedure and clipped it.  Well, my grandson, now a resident of Virginia Beach, is in speech therapy because he has barely uttered sounds and definitely not words.  He hears you but he was just strangely silent.  Well, not completely, he has the capacity for speech.  He just wasn't talking.  He's still supposed to have a hearing test when he turns 2, but the speech therapist just told my dd something the other day that puts this whole picture together.  My grandson is learning to sign as a means of communicating and now they are working on speech.  The therapist was showing my dd some exercises to do with him to strengthen his tongue, which she said was very flaccid.  My dd then told her about the tongue clipping and how he had kept his tongue in the roof of his mouth for so long.  Like a lightbulb going off, she said "that's it.  That's the reason his speech is delayed."  She said the first 6 months and most especially the first 3 months are critical in oral development for speech.  Since he didn't have full use of his tongue for those first 4 months, he is taking longer and having to work harder to learn to speak.  She told my dd if she hadn't had it clipped when she did, the problem would be far worse!  My dd was so grateful for her persistence, but even more, for mine which was due to the support and advice of those in this community.  

Many many thanks to Cathy WG!  Now, our information on the importance of clipping tongue-ties should be doubly-important.  It is critical to speech.  The sooner, the better.  Why, oh why, is there such a disconnect between speech therapists and the health professionals responsible for diagnosing and treating tongue-ties?!  Seems I owe the members of this community so very much this day.  I am thankful for you all.

Marsha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome