This is my letter to all those who helped me to support AB2447.  As Kathleen noted, it did not pass the house, though I understand from Ilona Turner that Kathleen was a huge asset to our team.  Thank you Kathleen.

This should not be seen as a failure in anyway, but instead as a huge victory!  We've put this issue on the map in California and the United States in a way that has not been done before.  This is just the beginning.  We've learned so much and made valuable contacts.  I look forward to pushing again soon.

[This letter may be disseminated publicly]

Dear Breastfeeding Supporters and Advocates:

Thank you all for your incredible hard work on AB2447! As you know, AB2447 was a courageous bill introduced by Assemblymember Jackie Goldberg, which would have prevented formula companies, doctors, and hospitals from distributing free samples of formula to mothers and their babies. AB2447 is the first legislation ever introduced in the United States that would enforce the WHO International Code of Marketing Breastmilk Substitutes and its mere introduction is a huge accomplishment!

Unfortunately, AB2447 did not pass the Assembly Health Committee last night, which means that it is finished for now. However, it certainly was not for lack of trying. In a mere matter of months, AB2447 gained the support of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, the Alameda County Breastfeeding Task Force, Baby-Friendly USA, Birth Network of Santa Cruz County, the Breastfeeding Task Force of Greater Los Angeles, California Dietetic Association, California Food Policy Advocates, California Nurse Midwives Association, California WIC Association, Children's Advocacy Institute, Healthy Children March of Dimes, Northern Californian Chapter Maternal and Child Health Access, People of the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Prevention Institute, San Diego County Breastfeeding Coalition, Santa Cruz County Breastfeeding Coalition and numerous individuals.

In addition, through your hard work on this bill we have made valuable contacts with the AAP, ACOG, the CMA, and a number of other powerful organizations. The breastfeeding community anticipates working with these organizations to introduce another bill next year that will have even greater support. AB2447 has been an important first step in opening the minds of the legislature to this incredibly important issue.

The single most important benefit that has come from the introduction of AB2447 is the incredible connection the breastfeeding community has made with Assemblymember Jackie Goldberg and her Legislative Aide Ilona Turner. These two women have become powerful supporters of our community and they deserve our infinite gratitude. Please feel free to call Assemblymember Goldberg and thank her for being such a strong voice for our community. You can also mention how grateful we are for all of Ilona's hard work on this bill.

Finally, the headway that we made with the introduction of this bill would not have been possible without the immense effort of several individuals. While I cannot mention everyone who helped with this bill because the effort was so large, I must mention a few individuals who went far above and beyond the call of duty:

Kiran Saluja who first introduced the idea of this bill and tirelessly made it happen in everyway. I can't even begin to list all the ways that Kiran made this bill a reality, but suffice it to say that it wouldn't have happened without her.

Dr. Wendelin Slusser who first invited Kiran to the legislative briefing that raised the specter of this bill as a possibility.

Debbie Myers who had the first hand in drafting the bill and continuously advocated for its passage.

Martha Schatzle who created an educational package of information for Assemblymember Goldberg that was integral in educating her about the need for AB2447 and persistently contacted many of the big organizations, such as AAP, CMA, ACOG, and BFHI, seeking support.

Rebecca Sheng, Luz Chacon, and Cristina Gorocica who along with me, Debbie and Martha personally met with Assemblymember Goldberg to brief her about breastfeeding and the necessity for this bill.

Dr. Nancy Wight who provided a vital link to the AAP, the CNA, and other organizations and provided critical feedback.

Dr. Audrey Naylor who also provided critical feedback and a supportive voice to the medical community.

Most importantly, we must thank our three experts who traveled to Sacramento to testify on behalf of the bill in person. Bruce, Kathleen and Laura spent hours waiting to testify in support of AB2447 and did an incredible job once they were given the opportunity to speak. THANK YOU Dr. Bruce Smith, Kathleen Huggins, and Laura Ortiz for really stepping up to the plate when we so needed you. Ilona said you all testified wonderfully!

Please make sure that you thank and support each of these people individually when you have the opportunity.

For the future: Today, start making regular contact with your representative in the state assembly (http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/acsframeset9text.htm) and state senate (http://www.senate.ca.gov/~newsen/senators/yoursenator.htp) and educate him or her about breastfeeding and how he or she can support breastfeeding. Our biggest hurdle will be to educate our representatives about why this is an important issue! Please let me know if you have contacts in the media who can write articles and do news stories relating to breastfeeding. Finally, attend a meeting of your local breastfeeding coalition.

Thank you again for all your hard work.

Warmly,

Alexis

Alexis Martin Neely, Esq.
355 South Grand Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90071
office: 213-683-9220
fax: 213-683-5120

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here
*********************************************** The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM) mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to: http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html