This is a letter I wrote regarding a NBCi promotion for new moms, which will give away a three month supply of formula free to the winner.  http://nbci.promotions.com/makeover/index.html for more information about this promotion.  Please send email to any of the nbci folks I emailed expressing your displeasure.

Alexis

>From: "Neely, Alexis" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>CC: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>, "Karen Peters (E-mail)" <[log in to unmask]>, "Margie Deutsch Lash (E-mail)" <[log in to unmask]>, "Tellalian, Louise (E-mail)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: NBCi Nestle New Mom Makeover Sweepstakes
>Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 09:20:32 -0800

To whom it may concern:

I am a mother of a 16 month old baby; I am an attorney; I am 27 years old; and, until today, I was a loyal NBC viewer and NBCi website user. The Today show was always the morning show I watched while getting ready for work and NBC nightly news was always the news I turned to in the evening. I watch Brian Williams on MSNBC and I get my market news from CNBC. Of course I watch Friends, Will and Grace, Just Shoot Me, and ER. I grew up watching Days of our Lives and other daytime programming. Unfortunately, I will now have to reevaluate my relationship with NBC and its partners because of your makeover promotion that will give away a three month supply of formula to a new mother.

Your promotion is appalling and unethical. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that reversing the decline in breastfeeding could save 1.5 million lives every year, yet baby food companies (in particular Nestle, your partner in this promotion) continue to market artificial foods in ways that undermine breastfeeding. This promotion is one of the most direct forms of undermining breastfeeding that I have ever seen. Your promotion includes a free three month supply of formula after asking new moms "do you feel like you haven't had much time for yourself lately?" and stating "well, here's your chance for us to take care of you!" Who is going to take care of the baby who does not receive the benefit of her mother's milk because NBC gave her mother a three month supply of formula? This promotion not so subtly indicates to every mother who reads this advertisement that feeding formula is the only way for a mother to take care of herself. This is incorrect and deceptive. The best thing that a new mother can do for herself and her baby is to breastfeed. If you really want to give a new mother and her baby something teach her how to breastfeed and portray breastfeeding in your media sources as the only and best way to feed a baby.

Your promotion is a violation of the International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes. The International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes was adopted by the World Health Assembly in 1981 as a "minimum requirement" to protect infant health and is to be implemented "in its entirety." The International Code (the "WHO Code") was prepared by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) after a process of widespread consultation with governments, the infant feeding industry, professional associations and NGOs. The United States Government endorsed the Code in the World Health Assembly ("WHA") Resolution of 1994, giving the International Code the support of every Member State of the WHA.

The WHO Code provides the following:

5.1 There should be no advertising or other form of promotion to the general public of products within the scope of this Code.

5.2 Manufacturers and distributors should not provide, directly or indirectly, to pregnant women, mothers or members of their families, samples of products within the scope of this Code.'

5.3 In conformity with paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Article, there should be no point-of-sale advertising, giving of samples, or any other promotion device to induce sales directly to the consumer at the retail level, such as special displays, discount coupons, premiums, special sales, loss leaders and tie-in sales, for products within the scope of this Code. This provision should not restrict the establishment of pricing policies and practices intended to provide products at lower prices on a long-term basis.

5.4 Manufacturers and distributors should not distribute to pregnant women or mothers of infants and young children any gifts of articles or utensils which may promote the use of breastmilk substitutes or bottle feeding.

5.5 Marketing personnel, in their business capacity, should not seek direct or indirect contact of any kind with pregnant women or with mothers of infants and young children

Products within the scope of the code include the formula that you are giving away and marketing as per Article 2 of the WHO Code:

The Code applies to the marketing, and practices related thereto, of the following products: breastmilk substitutes, including infant formula; other milk products, foods and beverages, including bottle-fed complementary foods, when marketed or otherwise represented to be suitable, with or without modification, for use as a partial or total replacement of breast-milk; feeding bottles and teats. It also applies to their quality and availability, and to information concerning their use.

Your promotion is in direct violation of the WHO Code and deceptively undermines breastfeeding mothers and their babies. Until you find some way to remedy this problem I will no longer support NBC or any of its partners. I will not watch NBC television shows or use its internet services. I hope you intend to fix this problem. Please let me know if you do.

Sincerely,

Alexis Martin Neely

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

*********************************************** The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM) mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to: http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html