Help for LACTNET Archives

LACTNET Archives

LACTNET@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

LACTNET Home

LACTNET  June 1996, Week 1

LACTNET June 1996, Week 1

breastfeeding policy in school/discrete brfding/ very long

Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 31 May 1996 22:59:00 PDT

        I have been following with great interest the discussion on
discrete/indiscrete, cover up or not, socially acceptable breastfeeding.
How about continuing it with a reality check.
        In March I posted the story of a public health nurse who was asked
to stop breastfeeding her 8 month old son while attending a school function
for her 6 year old (grade one here). Apparently some parents had complained.
They said it wasn't that they were unsupportive of breastfeeding just that
she was indiscrete.  This is(was in Feb) an active 8 month old who refuses
to nurse covered up.  I have seen this mom breastfeed (this is her third
breastfed child) she is not someone who "flaunts" the fact she is nursing
(should this really matter?).  After a few letters asking for it the
newspaper has written a follow up article and the school board has said it
will try to develop a policy (It has struck a committee).  But as you can
see in the following article there are still problems.  AND although it says
in the article she has fed at school since the complaint, she has NOT done
so since the March Parents Advisory Committee meeting at which she was
viciously verbally attacked. Some parents view breastfeeding as a sexual act
and that they should have the right to teach about sex so breastfeeding must
be hidden.  I think a lot of the problem is the age of the child.  We have,
in this area, made it socially unacceptable to critize the feeding of a
newborn, now we are dealling with older children --I mean -Doesn't he have
TEETH!!
        Anyway if you would like to help out e-mail me and I will forward
the addresses.  If you have an existing School policy/bylaw etc in writing
please also send a copy to me.  Only very tactful letters would be helpful
as we REALLY want to get a policy in place, and can't antagonize the
supporters even if we feel they aren't totally clear on the concept.

        "Thursday May 30, 96, Nanaimo Times A7

TRUSTEES PURSUING POLICY ON BREASTFEEDING/ Parent backed in her bid for its
acceptance in schools by Christy Lap

        Mary Anne Domarchuk wants other mothers able to breastfeed their
children in Nanaimo schools. While breast feeding her nine-month old son,
Nathan, in an Extension Elementary classroom she was asked to stop after
some parents objected. Domarchuk has since asked trustees to adopt a policy
protecting breastfeeding at schools. The issue is to be considered at an
upcoming education committee meeting.
        In some people's eyes, it's not a simple issue.  While breast milk
provides ideal nutrients for infants, protects against disease and decreases
risk of allergies, not everyone is comfortable with the sight of a mother
breastfeeding in public.
        Trustee Dr. David Thompson, who asked trustees to look at the issue,
supports breastfeeding in schools because of the health benefits. He wants a
consistent policy on breastfeeding in place, rather than continuing to put
the onus on individual school principals. "If I had my way, people would
learn it is natural and normal and being a human being," he says. "Nursing
in the classroom -- I personally think that is appropriate, but if we have
people protesting, and yelling and screaming perhaps then we need to have a
compromise position." "There is some decency and etiquette about it," he
says. "I've run into some parents who want to flaunt it."
        Domarchuk says she'd like to take the focus off herself, but says
she was upset to be asked not to feed Nathan in the classroom.  She was
visiting there because she has a child in that class. "What kind of message
do you give to children if you say "breast feeding is beautiful but could
you do it over there?," she says.
        Principal John Godfreyson says nursing mothers have been welcome at
both Chase River and Extension Elementaries. The teacher who asked Domarchuk
to leave last February did so because she feared parents comments about
breastfeeding in the room would be heard by children. "The manner in which
(breastfeeding) occured some parents had a concern." he says. "I'm not
trying to blame the parents. People feel differently about different
things." "Breast feeding did not have a public place years ago.  It's
possible that not everyone gets there at the same time."  He says Domarchuk
has nursed again in the Extension classroom without a problem. In general at
most schools, he says, "Most of the students don't notice or don't care
about it."
        Domarchuk says she probably nursed once subsequently at Extension
but the February incident resulted in her campaign to see trustees support
breast feeding in schools. "Apparently someone saw my breast." she says.  "
I didn't go in with a platform to educate children about breastfeeding.  I
didn't go out to show my breast. I wanted to feed my baby, so I expedited
it." She says she was told to either cover up or nurse in an office but she
objects to both avenues.  She doesn't want to miss school events and her son
doesn't like to eat beneath a blanket.
        Don Mullis, president ot the Nanaimo School Administrators Assoc.
says while his group hasn't discussed the issue, school administrators
prefer not to be bound by a district policy. He too thinks breast feeding
should be supported within schools.

Comments folks?

"Without interest and passion, nothing great has ever happened in history."
                                                                    G.W. Hegel
Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC         ph 604-748-4945
3346 Glacier St                   fax 604-748-2743
Duncan, B.C.                      e-mail [log in to unmask]
Canada,  V9L 3Z8