Help for LACTNET Archives

LACTNET Archives

LACTNET@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

LACTNET Home

LACTNET  June 1996, Week 1

LACTNET June 1996, Week 1

Re: LACTNET Digest - 1 Jun 1996 - Special issue

Debra Savage <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Jun 1996 00:24:22 UT

Regarding Teri's question on Depoprovera-I was just doing an independent study
module from ILCA regarding medications in lactation by Dr. Tom Hale who've I
seen posting on Lactnet.  The module stated that Depoprovera & Norplant are
not contraindicated in lactation & may even increase milk supply-perhaps Dr.
Hale could respond on Lactnet regarding this & any new findings.
   Debi Savage RN, BSN, SNM(soon to be IBCLC) from Westmont, IL

re they disorganized because of the method of feeding, or were thaey that
way before they were fed? That is the question. We must learn to look more
closely at these babies so as to "first do no harm"

There is no doubt that LCs are in a therapeutic position to need tools to
help rectify babies' sucking difficulties. There are many tools available to
help us do this. We need to consider which tool/intervention is going to
achieve the goal of getting baby organized and effective enough to do a good
job at breast, in the shortest period of time possible, without stressing the
baby out , or the rest of the family, in the process.

i believe we must make our choice on a case by case basis and not think that
one way or another is always the right way. Bottles may very well be the best
method in a particluar circumstance, cup feeding in another, and
finger-feeding in another. No matter what, the method chosen should have as
an end result a baby who goes back to breast and is able to stay organized
and transferring milk well.

Alison K. Hazelbaker