Help for LACTNET Archives

LACTNET Archives

LACTNET@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

LACTNET Home

LACTNET  December 2010, Week 3

LACTNET December 2010, Week 3

Breastfeeding during pregnancy--research?

"mumma2wldthings @mac.com" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:54:34 -0500

well, it's not exactly research,  but here's something i wrote for
lactnet after having my 5th and bfing 2 or 3 babies/children through 4
pgc's . i know it's probably not the official info you were looking
for, but i hope you enjoy it.

the way my mind organizes these memories is into two distinct
categories: nursing while pregnant during the 1st half of the
pregnancies, and nursing during the 2nd half of pregnancies.

pgc #2 (nursing 1 toddler, 8 mos at conception, 16 mos at birth)

fear (can this really cause a miscarriage?)
guilt ( who am i shortchanging more - the baby that needs milk or the
fetus that the ob says i am putting at risk?)
thirst !
love/affection for nursling
fierce protectiveness (i'm going to try to do everything i can not to
take this (milk) from you.
relief (found LLL!)

~2ND HALF~

burgeoning confidence (this isn't as hard as i've heard!)
gratitude (body is making enough milk for toddler and keeping fetus
healthy!)
fear and hope (i hope this pgc doesn't make you wean before you would
otherwise)
worry (can't feel letdowns any more and it's becoming painful, is this
normal?)
pain (it feels like gravel is passing through my nipples when you
nurse !)
triumph and pride (you nursed through the whole pgc and i hung in
there despite the cpl wks of discomfort! yay for us!)

pgc #3 (nursing one boy aged 3 and one toddler aged 1)

concern (can i nurse 2 thru a pgc and not be increasing the risk of
miscarriage?)
thirst!
gratitude (a reason to sit down and rest when i have to nurse you both)
surprise (i really feel tightening of the uterus and an urge to pee as
soon as you start nursing)
fierce devotion ( i won't let the imminence of a new baby change the
way i nurture you)
pride ( i don't know very many ppl who've nursed 2 children while pg !)

~2ND HALF~

pain (oh, there's that gravel in the nipples again - i'd hoped that
was a fluke !)
claustrophobic (oh no, here they come to nurse again and i'm so big
and uncomfortable i feel like they're smothering me)
restless (are you done yet?)
skin crawly (what happened to the way they nurse ? suddenly they feel
like they're all teeth and scrapy cat's tongues !!)
bargaining (if i can make it through just 10 more minutes, they won't
wean b/c of the pregnancy)
relief (once you've nursed for a little while and i can hear you
gulping, all the discomfort goes away and i am so glad to be
breastfeeding you both still)
triumph and terror (neither of you weaned through the whole pregnancy
and now i have a third!)

pgc #4 (nursing 4 yr old, 3 yr old and 6 month old)

determination (i've done 2, 3 can't be that much harder, besides the
oldest hardly nurses much anymore)
concern (can nursing 3 finally be enough to adversely affect the
pregnancy?)
thirsty !
have to pee as soon as they latch on
ever present nausea this pgc increases during nursing
suffocation (are they ever going to get off me ? i can hardly breathe)
hot flashes during nursing
skin crawly
underarms prickling as soon as they latch
panic (why is it so horrible this time, is something wrong w/ my
hormones? with my pregnancy?)
exhausted

~2nd half ~

guilt (i hope you guys don't know how much i hate this, this pgc)
cyclical pain (every few wks the gravel-thru-nipples pain is back!)
contractions (constant during nursing this pgc)
gagging (nausea increases enormously during nursing)
resentment (why do none of you ever wean during pgc like the stats say
so many do ?)
more guilt (i love you, i want to nurse you as long as you want to
nurse, i'm sorry i'm not enjoying it any more)
bargaining (i will give you a sucker if you'll be done nursing for now)
violent fantasies (dear husband, if you tell my children to go ask me
for milkies again like my breasts are yours to give out like party
favors when you want to bribe or distract them, i am going to wait
until you sleep and hurt you slowly and creatively for a long time)
constant worry (surely this time it's going to make the baby come too
early, that must be what all these hormonal signs mean)
relief and triumph (i made it again and nobody got hurt or emotionally
scarred or weaned!)

pgc #5 (nursing 2 yo and 1 yo)

nervousness (what if it's as bad as the last pgc?)
self-reassurance (it can't be as bad - i'm only nursing 2 again and
they are older and on solids so won't need to nurse as much)
thirsty!
tired tired tired
grateful (for the chance to sit down and rest while nursing)
guilty (this pgc is such a surprise, i didn't want to possibly cause
you guys to wean, i really hope it doesn't make you wean)
fiercely protective
weepy / emotional

~2ND HALF~

pain (gravel through nipples again but only for a short time mid-pgc,
not recurring like last time)
random contractions
smothering (i'm so big and you guys are so big, i feel crushed under
all of us)
determined (not much longer and we'll have our family all completed
and i'll have no regrets if i can stick it out one last time!)
extreme weepiness
confusion (why am i so weepy when they nurse ?)
more weepiness (why am i so confused i don't even know why i'm crying ?)
profound gratitude (i'm so lucky i've been able to do this so many
times, i have to cherish this, it won't last forever)
pride and triumph (made it again, about to be nursing 3 again)

whew! i have to print that out for posterity, it was very intense
going back there, i thought about it all day and am so surprised i
clearly r/m how very different the experience of bfing was w/ each
pgc ! i just wanted to add that no matter what i went through while
bfing during pgc, it was all worth it when the older nurslings got
their 1st feeding of 'new' milk after the birth. every one of mine
almost completely gave up solids for a cpl days when my 'new baby
milk' came in and it was sheer heaven to hold them (one at a time on
the 'toddler boob') next to the newborn and hear them gulping and
sighing in unison w/ eyes rolling back in ecstasy as they stroked the
new baby's silky head. if i am lucky enough to be able to prepare for
it when my time comes to leave this earth, this is the memory i will
conjure up and take with me, it is the very essence of why i work to
help women breastfeed.
thanks for the trip down memory lane and for reminding me that i am so
happy not to be pregnant any more !!!  ;-)

~Jacqui Gruttadauria, (near detroit, michigan)
~who is still nursing her almost 5 yo and 3 yo old, 3 yrs after the
last birth and approaching (almost) 11 yrs uninterrupted lactation.