LACTNET July 2000, Week 1

Rescue Remedy

gima <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Jul 2000 14:50:10 -0500

At 01:34 PM 7/3/00 EDT, you wrote:
>Could someone please explain what "rescue remedy" is.  It was discussed in
>the case of extreme engorgement by Pat Gima.  Thanks

Kathy, I am going to "cheat" again and re-send some earlier posts.  Chris
H-E had given some information on Rescue Remedy, as did Mary Kay Smith
today.  Below are a couple of posts that I sent earlier when people were
interested in RR and its use in lactation work.

You can search the archives for further posts.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Chris gave you information on Rescue Remedy and I will tell you how I use
it.  It has many uses that I knew about before I began recommending it to
nursing mothers.  My daughter is a singer and if she has a solo she puts 4
drops under her tongue and she doesn't get "butterflies" in her stomach.  I
have used it for the same purpose when speaking before groups. It is
basically a calming remedy beginning with 5 calming herbs.  Since it is
homeopathic it cannot be allergenic, nor does it have any side effects
other than calming.

I began using it with mothers because of all of the stress they were
experiencing with Instant Motherhood.  It is recommended for crisis times
and times of great frustration, so it seemed appropriate.  One mother who
had a 4-year-old, a 2-year-old, then twins found that it helped her get
through the day.  She said that what happened didn't change, but when she
took Rescue Remedy before each feeding she could take the challenges of the
day with some ease. She used it until everyone settled into the new routine
of two little ones. I recommended it before feeding only so that she could
remember to take it.

One mother was so uptight that her seemingly bountiful milk supply wouldn't
"let down."  So we tried RR, and she called the next day and said that it
had increased her milk supply.  It doesn't do that, but it helped her relax
so that the milk was released. That's what gave me the idea for using it
with mothers who are pumping if they find they have trouble with an MER and
a breast pump.

I was working with a newborn once and the middle child (2 yrs) awoke from a
nap with nigh terrors.  No one could stop his screaming. I put 4 drops of RR
under his tongue and in half a minute he happily ran off to watch TV with
his brother. It doesn't always work that fast; the more extreme the
agitation the faster the effect. And there is no "felt" effect like with a
sedative or tranquilizer.  One just notices that she feels more at ease.

It is not a drug, nor a sedative, nor habit forming, nor does it solve all
problems.  I use it at night when I awake stewing about a client and can't
get back to sleep (I'm sure that I am unique in that scenario).  It helps.
That's actually how I discovered it. I also found it most helpful when I
was flying from Nashville in March when the tiny airplane that I unwisely
chose to fly home in, was tumbling around in a storm.  I even shared it
with my seat-mate.

It has a calming effect when a person is anxious.

As Chris said, the original came from England and most health food stores in
the USA carry the original Rescue Remedy.

All of my success in using it is anecdotal, sort of
like cabbage leaves and fenugreek. It is totally safe and I find it most
helpful in my LC work. I know that many of you have constraints on what you
can recommend to a client, but if a client mentions it, you can say that you
have heard of its use with breastfeeding mothers.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee