Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:55:02 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I have been following the Afghan thread with some disbelief.........Immediately following the WTC murders there were a number of posts indicating that mothers in America were so stressed that supply was diminishing. It would therefore seem reasonable to accept that a much worse scenario will exist in Afghanistan where our bold troops are bombing throughout the day and night [most likely hitting empty camps as well as civilians]. In the UK such august and credible organisations as Medecins sans Frontieres and Oxfam are accusing our high minded leaders of hypocrisy and to date enough food for something less than a day has been dropped. If we destroy the food supply [which is meagre at the best of times] we will prevent women from feeding their babies. If we are really determined we may even be able to kill as many Afghan children as we have Iraqui........Perhaps we can induce as much misery as can be seen in the squalor of the West Bank concentration camps.

In these circumstances I think we should be more worried about bombs than whether formula is being dropped. Accepting that many babies are likely to be orphaned, and that most women will struggle to feed their own baby never mind contemplate wet nursing one might consider that starvation is more of a risk than cows milk allergy or otitis media......

Clearly if we are to support breast feeding we need to support the population and perhaps it is people such as ourselves who believe in the human milk of kindness [sic] who should be asking for this to be the priority.
Mr Bush may be e-mailed at [log in to unmask] and I believe Mr Blair may now be reached via [log in to unmask]

As far as anthrax is concerned I think we need a little common sense. The chances of death from skin anthrax are not overly high - and the chances of contracting it are tiny [anthrax 10 cases in 276 million population / congenital heart disease would be circa 2,760,000 per 276 million live births].  I suggest we save our panic for the time when Ebola or other haemorrhagic diseases are unleashed. The hysteria of suggesting bin Laden is responsible for formula thefts is bizarre! Al Qaeda is wealthy enough to bankroll purchases of formula if that was its wish - it would be foolish to jeopardise an act of terrorism by being arrested for shoplifting..........Sadly this then brings us back to the FACT that the children being slaughtered are dying as a result of Bush and Blair and their wish to be seen as men of action.

I know I am writing this from the safety of the UK - but do remember that areas like my local  rail station have been bombed by the IRA using US funding........hmmm, I guess we ought to bomb you guys for supporting terrorists too!

In peace 
Tony Knox

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2