Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:56:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Dear all:

Over the years, I have gotten used to dispargement from those who do not understand our profession.  Much of the resentment stems, I believe, from women who tried to breastfeed and failed to receive adequate support to breastfeed successfully. 

Even more disappointing is the small contingent of other breastfeeding helpers who disparage IBCLCs because we DO strive for more training, practice hours than other programs offer and have a test that measures retention of knowledge rather than the immediate post-lecture retention.  It disappoints me because I like to see "striving for excellence" as the standard.  

However, I never expected to be as gobsmacked as I was today when I read the document dated October 13th that was sent to MDs by Blue Cross Blue Shield PA:

"Lactation consultants are not credentialed and cannot receive direct payment for their services"  

despite the fact that: 

"IBLCE®, or the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners®, is the independent international certification body conferring the International Board Certified Lactation Consultant® (IBCLC®) credential."

and Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding states that: 

"International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) are the only health care professionals certified in lactation care. They have specific clinical expertise and training in the clinical management of complex problems with lactation." And this report also includes the strategy to "provide reimbursement for IBCLCs independent of their having other professional certification or licensure."

It seems to me that this is a huge restriction of trade to promote false information about IBCLCs to a group of practitioners that are a primary referral source.  

Recently one of our dear sisters left this Listserve.  She is one of the most thoughtful IBCLCs I know.  She left because it is no longer financially viable to work as a lactation consultant.  This is one of the many factors that are impeding IBCLCs in the United States who work OUTSIDE the hospital system and who work hard to promote the DURATION of breastfeeding to continue to make a viable living doing this important work.

I am deeply saddened by the short-sighted short-term profit motivations that lead people to ignore the long term ramifications of removing an important source of critical care for women who need more than emotional support to overcome their breastfeeding problems.

And it wins my "liar, liar, pants on fire" award.

Sincerely,
Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC, RLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2