Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:08:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
I am realtively new here.  I have been reading and replying directly but this is my first time posting.  I received a call from a mom who delivered 4 days ago.  This is the second breast baby.  Mom says latch on and feedings have been going fine.  Milk is in and all was well until baby spit up blood on 2 occasions.  Mom called her pediatrician and he told her to quit breastfeeding and to call us.  (I am one on a staff of 5.  2 LC's, 2 ICCE's and one anxiosly waiting to hear!)  I reassured mom that it was OK to breastfeed her baby that the blood would not hurt the baby.  Her ped had told her that it was not good for the baby.  I hate it when I am between mom and her pediatrician.  I tried looking in the archives for info on this but I did not have much luck with info saying that it is OK for the baby to breastfeed while this clears up.  I forgot to mention that mom's nipples are cracked and we discussed ways to treat this. (Rubbing milk on nipples and airing out).  I would appreciate any help you can give me.  Gayle, Jack, Rob info from you would be nice to send to this pediatrician. It seems more authoratative coming from a Dr.
Thanks for your help.
Debra Knight, R.N., ICCE
(Still trying to figure out how to fill out the application to take the IBCLC exam!)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2