Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2011 12:47:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
Permission to Post. I have been in contact with a mom who I originally connected with in early September. Her baby was almost 4 months and had been nursing almost every hour. She was told baby had trained himself to be a "sipper" and had received advice to space feedings to no more often than every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. and to feed baby on both breasts then use sns so he could learn what if felt like to be really full. (he transferred 2oz at the feeding according to test weighing).  

When I asked for clarification, she stated she had been told to wait until baby was "good and hungry" before feeding. I have been emailing her every few days for about 3 weeks just to keep the support up. 

This mom works full time and pumps whenever possible but admits to this not always being as often as she would like. She is taking More Milk Plus and has added addtional Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek. Mom uses breast compressions when feeding and when pumping. 

Recently baby has increased nursing through the night and mom finally gave baby supplement in a bottle when he was frustrated with breastfeeding. 

This is her second child (first child, girl 8 years older) no problems with milk supply or breastfeeding.

I have sent links to Diana West's site (milk production overview), kellymom,  MOBI, Jack N. , Nancy M's blog on foremilk/hindmilk etc.. discussed latch and breast compressions. Other suggestions have been osteopathy, chiropractic, etc. 

I had asked her what the birth was like and when she replied, I asked if I could share with you to find out if there are any strategies which may be helpful:

"I was thinking growth spurt or teeth!!  It's frustrating because he is nursing a LOT at night, this should boost my supply :(  Maybe my body just will never produce enough for him :(  I'm just so worried he is going to get frustrated and not want to nurse anymore!

Well I was  going to do a home birth with a midwife, then at 19 weeks found out I had complete placenta previa so I had to have a planned c-section!  The surgery itself went ok, then a few hours after being in the room I started passing out and my blood pressure dropped to 60/20!  I did this all day pretty much!  They have no idea what caused it!" 

in response to my question about bc -

"I have the merina IUD right now, which has some hormone in it! "  

"Unfortunately I had to pay $900 out of pocket for the IUD, I can't have it removed! :(  Also my period came back at 5 weeks post partum!  even with ****** eating every hour at that point!" 

she also shared this info about the birth:

" I actually did get to nurse him quit often that day because I was passing out just about every hour, so he would nurse inbetween (with my husband right there of course)!  My milk did take about 4 days to come in, we supplemented, with an SNS, with human donor milk while in the hospital because he lost 10% of his weight by day 2."

My eldest daughter (Lab/Del nurse) was not unfamiliar with this and described the vagal response that can occur as a result of this history. I passed this info on and Mom has also stated that OB did mention vagal response in passing after this incident but didn't clarify.

My question is: can this history translate into a "Sheehan's syndrome" type scenario? And if so, what can be done to stimulate a fuller milk producing response?

So, I am appealing to the collective great knowledge on this listserve to see if perhaps there is something mom can be doing to turn things around a bit more while preserving the breastfeeding relationship. 

Thanks so much

Celina Dykstra LLL Leader, CLC

(been watching Star Trek voyageur with my husband.. dare I call us the Lactation Borg? LOL)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2