Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 01:02:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Licensing is done on a state-by-state basis. It is very possible that what is required in one state will be completely different from what is required in another. This is especailly true b/c we have so little consistency in our training, so those who are not IBCLC might make successful arguments for licensure in certain states. I think the issue of licensure is premature and I think we may well regret a push toward it. I have been involved with the issue of licensure of midwifery in CT and can assure you that it is a double-edged sword. Many of the issues will serve to divide people, such as what is the educaitonal or certification requirment for licensure, who will pay for the lobbying required to obtain licensure (since this requires legislation), who will have the political clout to influence such decisions, what will the cost be (the state does not want it to cost them money to adminster licensing--this is a bigger problem the fewer LCs you have in a given state), who will take sides with whom should their be disagreement over who is qualified to be licensed and so on. There is also the issue that once you defince ceetain behavior under licensure, then you are open to legal interpretation that prevents anyone else from the same practice. For example, you could, in effect, prevent LLLLs from any hands-on care of women or babies (practicing lactation consultancy w/o a license).

I understand Nancy Wight's position as to credability, but we are so unprepared to tread this path right now. This is just the kind of situation that gets away from those who think the outcome is self-evident. I personally think the issue of certification--that we have a structure that clearly favors medical people, whether or not they are even committed to bf or have the clinical skills or much less the counseling skills to be effective--is a much greater problem. IMO, the requirment to restest basic skills is absurd and serves no one. I am a member of ILCA and the VP of my local affiliate, but I sure do not feel that I have a voice there at all. I dread the possibility of ILCA supporting licensure in the current environment.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2