Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:44:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Hi Donna,
In a previous life ;) I was an occupational health nurse at a large teaching hospital which had a dental division. They treated a large number of HIV+ clients. Being the occupational health nurse the staff of the hospital were my "clients". I would say I saw needlesticks on a daily basis and the highest department with needlesticks? Dental.

We offered post-exposure prophylactic (PEP) meds to the staff member while we obtained consent to have the source tested for HIV, Hep C & Hep B. Do you know if this mom was offered any (PEP) ? Or if the source was tested? Of course the meds would have to be checked with a reliable source such as Dr. Thomas Hale's website/book. As well we provided safe sex counselling (condoms, risky behaviors, no sharing of toothbrushes, razors, etc.) we also checked bloodwork at the time of incident, 6 weeks, 12 weeks and 6 months.

I can remember (as of 7-8 years ago) with counseling the worry was not so much HIV but rather Hep B or C. The studies back them showed a much, much higher risk for these than HIV. Most health care workers in Canada have been immunized against Hep B, so it was Hep C that was the concern. We know women with Hep B and C can breastfeed. Maybe the pediatrician does not know this? Here is a link from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/disease/hepatitis.htm

If the mom has an occupational health unit/department or infectious disease department at a local hospital she could contact I would suggest she do this to discuss her concerns and discuss PEP. Although PEP ideally is started within hours of exposure.

Hope this helps.
Camilla Aviss RN, BHSc(N), CCCE, IBCLC & DOHN (diploma occupational health nursing)
www.multiplereasons.com
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2