Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2010 01:59:50 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hi Karleen, if it is of help, I could add the incomplete data from Bulgaria.

The pronnounced to be national survey revealed that:

91% of the mothers initiate breastfeeding in the hospital (here mom&baby stay at the hospital for 3 days after vaginal delivery and 5-7 days after c-section). The 91% doesn't mean exclusive breastfeedinf though - the babies get some breastmilk, but in most hospitals mothers are encouraged to schedule feed about 7 times per 24 hours; babies get sugarwater routinely and many are offered formula; few years ago about 94% of the mothers initiated breastfeeding.

Only about 13% of the mothers breastfeed exclusively the first month, i.e. 87% give to the baby water or/and supplement with formula.

Initiation of breastfeeding is often very delayed without reason. Only 4,5% of the mothers put the baby to the breast within the first hour.

Only about 30% of the babies are still breastfed at 6 months (less than 3% of them exclusively).

I don't think there is "official" number of mothers still breastfeeding at age 1, but I can estimate it is not more than 3-7%, more likely about 3-5%.

An IBFAN Bulgaria survey, done in 2010 among 540 mothers from 18 'normal' hospitals and 5 BFHospitals got out the sad fact, that in all hospitals, including BFH ones, babies get supplemented with formula routinely - 92% of the mothers say they were offered formula; at some cases the babies got formula without the mother's consent. There is more data from IBFAN Bulgaria, but their survey is not national and is more about the BFHs, that are certified when they shouldn't, given the attitude they have towards breastfeeding.

I can gather more information for Bulgaria if needed. Many mothers start to supplement without consulting with their pediatritian, but even after doing so it can proove useless, as way too many doctors recommend and openly endorse formula; there is a huge lack of information and support. People are veru supportive of breastfeeding, but only if it is effortless; at the smallestchalenge they are ready to accept formula supplemention, as the agressive formula marketing is working pretty damn well. The situation is a better for mothers visiting LLL meetings or having internet acces and the desire to read accurate information,but the national policy for breastfeeding accepted back in 2000 still remains only on paper and this is a huge drawback.

Tania Ruseva,
LLLL, IBCLC, 
from suddenly very pleasant summer-like Bulgaria

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2