Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:28:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
they don't speak adult language and that is their way to communicate!

Granted my son at two weeks of age actually said "aah" to me after I said "aah" to him.  Nearly scared the bejeebers out of me.  Fortunately I had enough infant development training under my belt to know that even these small guys could mimic sounds and mimic sticking out their tongues at you if you stuck your tongue out at them.  My first neonatology attending, Diana Woo at University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, taught me that trick when I was on my first pediatric third year clerkship.  She also carried her infant under her gown on rounds.  Had her cutie with her to help encourage mom about breastfeeding.  She was one of my early pediatrician role models about treating the mother infant dyad. She passed away many years ago of breast cancer, but her magical way of teaching medical students and residents has stayed with me for 24 years.

Sometimes I think us Westerners get way too worked up about babies crying.  They do it, some more, some less.  Infant temperament varies widely.  Mothers and fathers sometimes have the interesting expectations that their babies should NEVER cry, NEVER make funny squeally, squirrel sounds, should never grimace when they pass stool. Never ever feel the least discomfort.  Babies are living, breathing people that truly have their own way in the world.  Not some cute accessory to dress up, show off and compare to others.

Interesting view.  Life isn't always so hunky dory.  I think even babies need to process the reality of the world- it ain't always the giant breast making the world safe and perfect.  Even little humans have to experience the challenges of life. It may start small with the victories and defeats of learning to roll, crawl, walk and talk.  None of this comes perfectly even the first many tries.  But it is the persistance that fosters a child's development.  For me that is the beginning of individuation and coming into one's own (with my apologies to Erickson, Spock and Zuckerman)

I get very worried when I see perfectly content, non interactive babies.  Give me one with a lusty cry, an ability to cry, "hey dude, I need your attention now!" Give me one that can aim that pee directly in my face and smile, have the expression of delight when they burp and fart, not be thrilled with a diaper change or a bath.

I learned from my Buddhist mentors, that if one's life condition is high enough, a babies cry could be like a melody.  Perhaps a little more adult tolerance of the world of babies is in order, rather than always focusing on making the baby a perfectly passive bundle of joy.

Just this mama doc's opinion, your mileage may vary.

Best,

Pierrette Mimi Poinsett MD FAAP
Petaluma CA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2