Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:32:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
One of my clients was told by her pediatrician that her 4 month old baby girl (that was born at 34 weeks) should not be nursing every 2-3 hours at night anymore. This little baby was born weighing 5# 12 oz and now weighs 11# 6 oz nurses on demand. She has been nursing at night usually around 2 am, 4 am, and 6 am. The pediatrician told mom that she doesn't need the 4 am feeding anymore and that she shouldn't be getting up to feed her then. This caused an argument with the mom and dad because the dad now feels that mom is just spoiling her by nursing her at night. Mom told me she kind of feels like it really isn't for him or the doctor to decide, because its her that is getting up and nursing the baby after all. Baby sleeps in bed with mom mostly anyway and so she doesn't feel like the night feedings are an issue. However, it caused a big argument, and the mom asked me for support. I told mom that I am not aware of anything to support the theory that the baby doesn't need the 4 am feeding. I suggested she follow her own instincts as they have served her well so far, and baby is thriving very well. (history of tongue tie as well that was corrected a little over a month ago)  I also suggested that she express her concerns to her physician and ask for anything that would support skipping this feeding. I also suggested she ask the doctor exactly how she is suppose to convince the baby at 4 am that she really doesn't want or need to nurse. I did all of this very politically correct and gently through encouragement rather than sarcasm. 
My question for all of you is this, Is there any medical evidence to support the doctor's statements?  I have searched through my books and the archives but I can't find anything. I promised mom that I would try my best to find something either way. 

Thanks, Pam Price IBCLC, RLC
Charleston, SC 29406

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2