Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:34:54 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I have read the posts about the PURPLE program.  We have just started the program at my hospital.  I was the one who researched it and implemented it.  I have always been interested in infant behavior. I found the information to be well researched.  It has nothing to do with letting babies cry.  It encourages walking, talking, soothing.  The walking away advice is last resort.  We can't control every body's emotions, so parents need to know they can walk away if really needed.  They explain that even in cultures (Kung!) that constantly carry, sleep with and breastfeed baby that even these babies have the same crying pattern.  They state that babies that are carried a lot when they are not crying will still cry and fuss but the crying bouts will be shorter.  So they do encourage lots of carrying and holding (especially when baby is not crying).  They do not encourage crying it out.  The website purplecrying. info has a lot of information.  When I was first learning about it I called the National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome and they gave me temporary access to their website where you can see a 20 minute and 60 minute presentation plus you can view the DVD given to parents. It is a 3 dose program.  Education happens in the maternity ward and DVD is given out.  Doctors offices are encouraged to talk with parents about infant crying.  The community is educated through health departments, WIC, schools, ect.  I have talked with all of our doctors and they really like the program.  I have also talked with the WIC office and the high school and our Emergency department.  We cant't fix parenting issues overnight but I do think it is a step in the right direction.

Christine Lichte, BS. IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2