Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 12:18:50 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
>But then, that would require some compression on the part of the baby's jaw and tongue. It 
>has sometimes been strongly "suggested" that there is no such action and that vacuum (negative, 
>or below atmospheric pressure) and the let-down reflex are the only forces that remove the milk. 
>Then why does tongue-tie cause such problems? I don't think we can have it both ways.   Dear Jean,  That's a very interesting point. I have a daughter born with a uniltarel cleft lip and palate. During the six and a half months prior to her palate repair, she became quite adept at breastfeeding (to the point where I eliminated nighttime bottles and pumping - and was tempted to try eliminating bottles entirely).  I think it was most unlikely that she was able to create vacuum pressure considering the size of her cleft. I had the impression that she 'milked' the breast with 'compression' (as you call it). I assume that she got better at it the more breast tissue she could take into her mouth (around 4 months) and her mouth was stronger.  Alice FarrowLLL Leader, Rome  PS. I hope this message is legible. When I have posted before the line spacing dissappeared. I have tried double spacing this time.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2