Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:10:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
At least here in New York City, there are still many women who are interested and working towards being IBCLCs who are NOT nurses.  Many of the best IBCLCs I know are NOT nurses.  

There is nothing particular about the training to become a nurse that really has anything specific to do with assisting breastfeeding mothers other than being more "marketable" to hospitals who value breastfeeding so little that they want IBCLCs to "dabble" in breastfeeding while carrying out other duties that are not related to breastfeeding.  In my little corner of the planet, I find this type of hospital policy of "multitasking" dilutes the support women need to get their feeding off to a good start.  Moreover, I hear complaints that this makes for a very frustrating experience for RN, IBCLCs who would prefer to focus on the breastfeeding evaluation and management that is so needed.  

To give an example, if you needed physical therapy you expect your primary care practitioner to provide it, you would go to a physical therapist who would have the appropriate tools and skills for that therapy.  

When I started this profession, I expected the field to be dominated by nutritionists, not nurses.  If we are ever to increase the duration of breastfeeding in industrialized areas of the world where the normalcy of breastfeeding has been disrupted heavily by marketing, we need to focus on building up support OUTSIDE the postpartum stay in the hospital. It is imperative that there are more IBCLCs who have watched breastfeeding through the normal age of weaning, not merely the initiation of breastfeeding.  And this does not require nurses per se, it requires those who specialize in infant feeding through weaning. 

Best regards, 

Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2