Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2014 22:13:51 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I wonder if my personal story might help.  I don't think it is the solution for most moms, but it was for me.  About two months into nursing my fifth adopted baby, I developed deep fissures about a third of the way around the base of both nipples.  They were deep enough that a little milk came out of them.  I tried putting various things on them, letting them dry, open, after nursing, and keeping anything that could impede they circulation of air.  I tried nursing from one breast only and just hand expressing whatever I could get from the other, since pumping hurt even more than nursing.  I did that for as long as 48 hours at a time.  It would look healed, but tear open as soon as he latched on.

After two months,  I started thinking about the fact that some people believe that the gall bladder, which I no longer had, was important for proper absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.  I started taking supplements of Vit. A and E.  The fissures were a little smaller, the next day and after a few days, they were closed!  I was nursing one, or two, babies for another three and a half years.  As long as I kept taking the A & E, I was fine, but if I forgot them for more than 3 or 4 days, the same spots would start opening back up.

I  think I took 400 iu of E, and about 20,000 of A.  Beta carotene might work, too.

Darillyn Lamb Starr

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2