Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:19:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hello Wise Ones,
    I have been lurking for awhile. I believe this is my first post. I am a nurse and part-time L.C. (as time permits) in a small community midwest hospital. 
     A co-worker and friend of mine delivered at a different facility. She first contacted me when her son was several weeks old, as she was concerned about slow weight gain.  He took awhile to regain his birth weight, but thereafter gained 4 ounces per week consistently. I shared references with her including the Breastfeeding Answer Book.  His general appearance,hydration, I/O,etc. seemed to indicate that he was just going to be on the low side of normal.
    Looking back, he was sort of a passive baby those first 2 weeks, and was probably not transferring milk as well as he needed to.  Handouts on breast compression, etc.seemed to help Mom to know how to assure good milk transfer. She was able to increase her supply and keep the little guy awake long enough for good feeds.
    She had similar experiences with first 2 children,and feels she probably gave up too soon due to pressure from others.  They are obviously lean and healthy.
    The baby is now 3 1/2 months old, and only gained 2 ounces this month.  She weighs him  frequently.  I can't help but wonder if  he might have just had a huge stool or something.  He is alert, active, happy-laughs out loud!
    He was 8 pounds 15 ounces at birth.  He is 2 pounds and 3 ounces over that now.  I can get more stats on length and head circumference as needed. It just seems like everything else is normal.
    I feel confident that I can believe what she tells me. Baby usually nurses at least 10 times per 24 hours and has great output. It is hard to try to get more hindmilk into him as he pulls on nipple after about 15 minutes and wants the other side with the fast letdown etc.
    I just keep thinking that if we had met at a league meeting or something everyone would say "He looks great to me!"  Her doctors have told her to stop worrying in the past.  I suggested she give her pediatrician a call after this last weight check.  He has been very supportive of breastfeeding so far.  I think she is afraid he will tell her to wean.
    She has given me permission to post this.  What do you think?
Thanks for your time,
Michele Heath RN,IBCLC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2