Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2014 17:02:36 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
<To all you with experience using a supplementing feeding system at the breast, I am wondering what you have had the most success with.  Do you use a commercially made SNS or do you prefer to use something you put together yourself for families?  How do you construct a supplemental feeder if you make something "improvised"?  I realize that this may be different with short term vs long term use, but I am particularly interested in hearing what you've found easiest for families to stick with and have success with to help feed and keep babies at breast, especially early in the feeding relationship.  It feels that we are seeing more need for this recently, and want to make sure I am doing what is best to be helpful to our patients and families.>

I've had success with both.  I usually use the infant feeding tube first, then move to the Medela SNS as needed.  If I'm not sure the issue is response to flow, I'll start with the feeding tube to see if it makes a difference.  Some mothers find the feeding tube stiffer and easier to insert.  Others like the convenience of the SNS.  I do show them how to use a nipples to make a 'lid'.  I also supply them with some small syringes to clean the tubing.

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC
Roseville, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2