Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:46:59 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Jacqui Gruttadauria wrote:
"now i have lost all of the weight
except the last 20 lbs and darn if i don't think i am 8 days pg today! i am 100%
convinced nursing kept the weight on me, nothing can convince me otherwise."

Jacqui, I can relate to that.  I used to lose weight, no matter how much I ate, during the first 5 months of pregnancy, but put it on during lactation.  I estimated I put on nearly 4 stone (56 pounds) during my last lactation - not all at once, but the same 21-28 pounds over and over.  I put on weight, lost (about) 28 pounds with a bad bout of influenza, put the weight back on again, 2-3 months later lost about 1 1/2 stone (21 pounds) with a virus that caused vomiting and diarrhoea (no doctor or hospital in the small town and I had no one to drive me, and so I just had to wait for it to pass).  I then put the weight back on and over the next few years, and struggled to lose weight, and then put it on again.  I could lose weight during lactation *only* if I were pregnant again (a sure way of having the weight fall off), or if I had a severe infection.  I didn't lose wieght when I had chickenpox, though.
    At a breastfeeding conference some years ago I was chatting with someone - and *both* of us had previously put on weight while breastfeeding two (2) children.  In my case, it had happened while I was tandem breastfeeding, and I can't remember if the other woman had been tandem breastfeeding or had twins.  My guess is that we'd ignored cues about appetite and fullness, and just kept on eating.
    Virginia
(in Brisbane, and back on Lactnet after a long interval)

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2