Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 08:52:24 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
The theme of the current issue of Midwifery Today is Breastfeeding - I haven't read it all yet but I did read "Meeting the Need: Building Communities of Lactation Support" by Angelique Chelton, Certified Lactation Counselor and the doula who's blog Jennifer quoted.  Her first suggestion includes conducting a survey of local bfing support, are there IBCLCs CLCs, CLEs, support groups in your area? "Take some time to understand just what services these professionals are offering and to whom.  Please abandon unsupported ideas that assert that some lactation guides are better than others.  Just as there is no hierarchy between various types of midwives, there is no hierarchy in professional lactation support.  Be willing to consider that perhaps the letters behind a name don't matter as much as the heart, mind and experience of the guide.  Let's be brave and take into account that all kinds of lactation guides have something valuable to offer the women in our community."

I agree that all of the various forms of lactation support are valuable - but the comparison doesn't seem useful.  You wouldn't ask a doula to stitch up a torn perineum or a midwife to perform a c-section.  Of course within any category some will have more experience or simply be better at what they do.  I do agree that all of us working towards peaceful, safe birth and breastfeeding need to work more closely.   I forwarded this to ILCA and IBCLE - I feel an official response would be good.

warm regards,
Laura McCormick
Shelburne, VT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2