Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2015 12:39:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
 I see a lot of babies at 2mos or older, previously seen by other IBCLCs who have often implemented excellent supports, but these kids still have  feeding issues due to structural impairments. Often only a few appts with the bodyworker and they are different babies. I don't understand how we can think babies can survive medicalized births unscathed. Even normal birth can be difficult to recover from if the baby cannot feed functionally. But, as always, the proof is in the pudding. All you need to do is observe. I don't think it's any surprise that so many IBCLCs are embracing bodywork, bc it becomes difficult to deny its efficacy once you begin to work with someone skilled.

On the other side of this, I think it's a disservice to mothers and babies when an IBCLC does not refer for bodywork. When you think about it, when a baby is ultimately artificially-fed bc the IBCLC "does not believe in" bodywork, how is that any different than bc the ped does "not believe in TT"? The way I think about it, if technology is going to continue to damage babies (and we seem willing to allow it), we had better find as many resources as we can to help them recover as best they can. 

This study is not specific to breastfeeding issues, but is single-blinded related to chiropractic care. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23158465

Efficacy of chiropractic manual therapy on infant colic: a pragmatic single-blind, randomized controlled trial.

CONCLUSIONS: 
"In this study, chiropractic manual therapy improved crying behavior in infants with colic. The findings showed that knowledge of treatment by the parent did not appear to contribute to the observed treatment effects in this study. Thus, it is unlikely that observed treatment effect is due to bias on the part of the reporting parent."

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, USA & France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2