Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:19:06 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
First, welcome Renata!  It's great to see yet another RD face on the list.

Second, I know this is controversial, but something which the mother  *may* want to consider to give her *some* place to start would be a RAST test with her baby.  I'm going to repeat myself...this is controversial, especially at this age when direct exposure to a food has been minimal, but I have found it can help to narrow the field of potential offending foods.  It doesn't mean that all the foods showing high IgE reactivity have to be eliminated forever, but it may be a starting point.  For example, one mother/baby pair I know ended up sourcing mustard...yes, mustard in seed or ground or prepared form...as a problem.  Other seeds were out of the question, too, but who in their sane mind usually discards mustard when their baby is having allergy issues?  Saying "dairy" allergy raises red flags for me...is it casein, whey, both, what?  That can make a difference for some dyads as knowing which foods to eliminate beyond the obvious is important.  If she finds soy to be a problem, then perhaps other legumes are, too.  Some find that cutting back to plain, boiled chicken breasts and brown rice is helpful; however, I have seen a child who is allergic to chicken, so that diet would have been horrendous for both the mother and baby.

Third, one good source of protein which some children allergic to nuts, legumes and seeds can tolerate is hempseed.  The hempseed "butter" has a lovely hue of alien green and is best disguised between slices of whatever bread is tolerable.  It has a unique mouthfeel and flavor, but with some honey, it's not too bad, IMHO <g>.  There are brands of hemp tortillas available in some stores, too, but watch the labels for offending ingredients.

Fourth, I wish the whole area of allergies and breastfeeding were better-researched.  It seems the more we learn, the more we realize we have a long way to go.

Warmly,
Rebecca DeYoung Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC, RLC & MOM to 5 in KS

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2