Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:42:33 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I am seeking information about NICU's anywhere in the world that "allow" rooming in  for babies and mothers at any level of neonatal care.

In my local area there is a consumer and health professional (mainly midwives and LC's) drive  for parents of prem or unwell infants to stay with their babies 24 hours a day if they wish.  Some may not choose to, or be able to do this but others would like the option to stay.  It is certainly in the best interests of the baby's health, the mothers well being, and the breastfeeding progress for mother and baby to be together.  Extended periods of kangaroo care would then become normal and cue led feeding would be more feasible.  We all know how important those two practices are.  Surely all the evidence is clear on the benefits of successful bonding and breastfeeding for the most vulnerable of babies.

I remember as a student nurse nearly 3 decades ago, how unusual it was for parents to stay with their sick babies or children in paediatric wards.  Now it is the norm (thanks to consumer groups lobbying for this). Parents of NICU babies are asking for the same.  However this is not proving to be easy.  We need more information about what other areas are doing to press our point.

We hear that a new unit is going to be built  here soon and we very much want to ensure the best possible options are available for these wee babies as well as the first class medical facilities that will no doubt be on the wish list.  However, there is more to survival than just being able to  breathe!

I am relatively new to this group and am learning sooooooo much.  Thank you all for the opportunity to learn from you.

Kia Ora
Karen Palmer
Midwife, New Zealand

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2