Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 06:15:02 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Hello fellow Lactnetters,

I have a dilemma.  I am coming off of working several extra nights overtime so I am tired, so instead of going to the archives I come here first.  For this I apologize.

I overheard a pediatrician talking to one of my mother baby nurses about why she let the mom sleep with the baby in the bed with her.  He found them both asleep (safely) and why didnt the nurses stop her.  I, of course wanted to help her out (she was just as tired as I, and just recently-the last year- has been awesome helping moms to breastfeed effectively).  So I open my big mouth.

There are no other lactnetters that do that, are there?  LOL But anyway... I told him that I knew there was controversy in this area, and that I had heard at conferences and have read presentations and articles from peer reviewed journals regarding this subject.

He said very loudly,  "there are no medical studies that have been published in a peer reviewed journal to show the safety of infants sleeping with their mothers."  And then "besides, its a hard habit to break."   I again said I have heard very respected physicians support the idea of co-sleeping safely.  He again said, "there is no safe way to sleep with an infant in the bed."  I said I would check it out.

So was I dreaming?  Did my memory make this up?  I have been to ILCA conferences over the last 10 years and I know I have seen different studies talked about on this list serve, but also I have heard people quote respectable physicians in their support of co-sleeping.

Does anyone have handy any MD respected information to guide me in supporting co-sleeping?

I appreciate your time,  I will go to sleep now and maybe have more energy later tonight.

Theresa Johnson
Celebration Florida

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Win a $20,000 Career Makeover at Yahoo! HotJobs

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2