Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2018 14:18:46 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Thank you to Kay, Holly, Pamela and Laurie and everyone else that responded. Yes, Holly, what did we do before we could quantify and measure every single feeding, obsess about clocks and schedules and worry about giving in to our demanding babies? LOL! I guess we just enjoyed breastfeeding.
I do talk about the mothers preference and if she is enjoying breastfeeding, etc. But this is a really difficult situation if the mother is getting conflicting information from the MD and I have no evidence to offer other than my opinion. People are not usually swayed. I'm sure this is an issue for thousands of other women in developed nations now. I did get the suggestion of looking on the ABM website, but it is not addressed yet. If there is anyone out there in ABM this would make a great policy or statement... 
I got several other emails from people with the most common suggestion being - find a new Pediatrician, haha. The whole 6 to 8 oz feed volume is more easily debunked. How often to you see a working mom with a baby taking 8 oz of breastmilk by bottle? I think I did once, but usually it's about 3 to 5 oz (90 to 150 ml) in a older baby is what I typically see, and suspect it's about the same from the breast. Smaller more frequent feeds are the norm throughout the entire time she is breastfeeding. I would love to see the AAP's "science" behind this recommendation as well.
In LLL, we used to advise mothers that breast should be the primary source of nutrition for the full first year. From 6 to 12 months they should offer breastfeeding first and only give solids after to supplement the feedings. So I typically saw most women nursing a baby of that age closer to 8 times a day on average with many still waking for the occasional nighttime feed. Which of course is going ro be much easier to maintain a milk supply. 
I wonder if doing some sort of survey of LLL moms regarding feeding frequency and publishing would be helpful?

Tricia Shamblin 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2