Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2014 19:13:35 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
I am aware of apparently good results of cst with bf issues. However as well as there being no good evidence in terms of research to support this therapy, there is no biological or other plausibility for effectiveness of the intervention. What research there is shows nothing significant happens that cannot be explained by chance. 

However sometimes it appears to 'work'. Practitioners say they are convinced it works. They claim they have successes that are not just chance. Under experimental conditions, this claim invariably falters. Maybe when they see the successes they are witnessing the effect of sympathetic engagement with the parents. They are seeing that taking parents' concerns for the well being of their baby seriously, empowers parents so they became better able to respond to the baby. They become more confident and more tuned in. They feel cared for themselves. All these are good things. 

This to me is infinitely more plausible than the mechanical explanation, and allows for the observation that some cst practitioners are more effective than others.

We need some blinded studies where parents have exactly the same engagement with the therapist but some have the actual cst part and some don't with neither group knowing if they have had it or not (baby would be treated/not treated in another room). I think this has been done but I can't look it up at present. My memory of the study that did this is that overall the babies improved whether or not they had anything 'done' or not. 

Heather Welford Neil
Nct NFC tutor, UK

Sent from my iPad

> On 4 Jan 2014, at 22:50, Carol Gray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> I practice and teach CST mostly with infants. I agree that there are no high-powered studies to show the effectiveness of CST for breastfeeding issues. However, anecdotally, I see amazing results. Those of us who are doing this work all see amazing results. In addition to what I see in my private practice, my former students and I hold a free infant CST clinic in Portland, OR each month. We are seeing about 30 babies in each monthly clinic. Many of the babies are having difficulties establishing normal breastfeeding. Most commonly, we see babies who have subtle innervation issues or fascial/tissue restrictions that interfere with normal tongue  movements and the coordination of suck, swallow & breathe. Some of these babies also have tongue and/or lip ties. Others have been revised, but are still having problems due to underlying structural issues. IBCLCs are so admirably focused on evidence-based practice. I understand the desire for more research evidence. I also know that lactation consultants and among our greatest referral sources because we all know on some level that CST works. 
> 
> Carol Gray, Midwife, LMT
> Craniosacral Therapy
> 1306 NW Hoyt St. #307
> Portland, OR 97209
> 503-830-8995
> Study CST with Carol Gray
> Put Me on the Mailing List
> Schedule an Appointment
> 
> 
> 
>            ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2