Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:26:39 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
    Ok this one's just a little different from the usual yeast questions.  A little background first.  I've been working with a mother of a down's syndrome baby for some time, the baby has a heart condition and needs extra calories so the mom has been nursing and pumping during the day and giving the baby breastmilk mixed with eithor lipids or powdered formula at night via a ng tube and feeding pump.  The baby gets a continuous feed throuout the night.  (I told you about her a while ago, first the baby wouldn't latch, then she latched and we found out about the heart condition and the need for more calories) 
    Well, this little trooper has decided she only wants to nurse she refuses all bottles! (smart one isn't she)  But that's not the problem, she has had thrush on and off.  Mom has no signs but they have both been treated with nystatain for 2 weeks, then a week or so later it comes back.  Now she is going to the GV and that I hope will be the end of that but here comes the question.
      She has lots of milk in the freezer being saved up for when the baby has heart surgery and for feeding at night.  She has no idea which milks where pumped during a thrush outbreak but she has had thrush before so we know it's in there.  She doesn't want to throw anything away, can we give the baby this milk through the tube?  The baby has no other yeast problems. I know candida doesn't die when freezing, we are talking about a considerable backlog of milk, any suggestions?  
    Once the thrush is gone, this time, she will be carefully labeling the new milk so we know it doesn't have yeast in it and the baby can have it after surgery.
    This mother and baby have overcome many difficulties and mom would be VERY upset to loose any milk.  I hate to give her anything else to do but is it possible to kill the yeast with heat and then give the baby the milk through the tube?  Since she is not getting the milk in her mouth (NG tube at night) will the possible yeast in the milk effect her?? Nothin's ever easy with me!  Never just black of white always shades of gray and what if's.
    Well I can't get to the archives I don't think this one has come up before, if so forgive me, if not help!!  I am in the process of changing my email and re subscribing so please email me privately

TIA  Rene R Fisher BA, LLL, IBCLC
[log in to unmask]  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2