Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2010 11:22:33 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Sorry for the bad english writing but I have a question and I don't know where else to ask. 
A friend of mine is being diagnosed with pernicious anemia, it's a condition of vit B12 deficiency due to intrinsic factor antibodies in her blood, a problem of the immune system. 
She is pregnant of her second child and she wants to breastfeed her new baby. Her first son (7) is often fatigue and now the doctors are examine him for lack of B12. They told her the condition of her oldest is possible the result of her pregnancy and period of breastfeeding (12 weeks) him. At that time, she wasn't diagnosed with this condition. Now a days she's being treated with vit B12 injections. 
Literature tells me little or nothing. The little things are about the lack of vit B12 but nothing about lack off B12 due to intrinsic factor antibodies. I can't find good articles about this situation and possible negative outcome for the breastfed baby. The things I can find on the internet tells me that breastfeeding is a no go. They say antibodies pass into the milk and cause a lack of B12 in the baby. I don't know of this is a right statement. I can understand that a mother who's short on B12 gives milk which is insufficient off B12 for the baby but this mom is now treated with B12 injections. Will those antibodies go into her milk and if so, can those antibodies cause a problem for the baby to pick up the B12 he need. Isn't it possible to monitor the baby for his B12 and treat the baby with vit B12 supplements, or can the antibodies cause problems in the baby's whole life? I really don't have clue. Is there somebody here who can make this clear to me?

Best regards,

Marieke van den Worm IBCLC 
The Netherlands 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2