Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 07:13:42 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I am working with a client who is Dutch and who has found a Dutch book thatshe really likes about "regularity and wrapping your baby" ( author: Ria Blom illustrations Veronica , Regelmaat en inbakeren , Voorkomen =E9n verhelpen van huilen en onrust , ISBN: 9062387411 ). It is apparently very popular in the Netherlands, but since I can't read it, I have very little idea of what 
it's about.Has anyone read it? Any opinions? She has great hopes that it will solve her difficulties with her 2nd child.

Well, you targetted absolutely the right person, asking me about this.
I have the book her, to read and review and I just can't finish it without feeling sick. This Mrs Blom is playing with the feelings of insecurity of new moms who can't read the signs of normal infant behaviour and think baby's ought to feed, sleep and play in that order repeated throughout the day. So mrs Blom offers a method of making baby's sleep for several hours at once several times a day and preferably all through the night, not fall asleep at breast. Baby's who will not voluntarily ajust to this regimen are *very* tightly wrapped/swaddled with no flexion allowed in any junction. What is especially bothersome to me is that mrs. Blom totally denies the infant as an idividual, as a person.
The book very much warns against frequent short feedings, against taking the child to breast when the schedule says that sleep or playtime is planned to happen now, Babies that fall asleep at breast must be waked and then put in bed awake to earn to sooth themselves and to learn to fall asleep by themselves.
I do not recommend this book to any mom breastfeeding or AIM feeding. 

Warmly,
Gonneke,
Dutch IBCLC, living in Germany, teaching in Belgium

---------------------------------
Do You Yahoo!?
 Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new Resources site!

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2