Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:07:11 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
Tina, I agree with most of what you said re letting the baby lead, and not insisting on one-sided or two-sided nursing.  Also agree with the information about one-sided nursing being very effective in dealing with over-supply. But in teaching BF in the first few days, I do suggest mom try to get to both sides in the feeding. 

My thinking is this:  in establishing the milk supply, if baby lingers on one side for an hour, for instance, and never gets to side two - then sleeps for two hours, then repeats the process on the other side, the individual breasts are being stimulated only every 4 to6 hours, and I would question whether this is enough stimulation to create an early, sufficient milk supply.

On the other hand, if the constant cycle of nutritive/recreational feeding goes on at one breast X an hour, wouldn't the result be an oversupply when the full supply finally comes in?  Setting up a cycle that needs one-sided breast feeding to make sure the baby does get to the fat.

Always seeking to understand more (oops, just corrected a typo -- had written udderstand),  Chanita, San Francisco 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2