Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 2014 17:39:32 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
That is very high, In my opinion.

As per BFHI you are allowed to pay fair market value for your formula.  In order to figure out what *is* fair market value you need to compare the price of other items used on the maternity unit, with what the retail price is and what the hospital actually pays.  For example:  You may pay 2.00 for a peribottle at CVS, but the hospital pays .25 because they get a volume discount.  After you research (I think it was 6 items when I did it a few years back) and then average what the volume discount was for your specific hospital...that is the fair market value of what your hospital pays for items and is what you will pay for formula.  Most get quite a discount esp the larger hospital systems.  So you may be only paying a fraction of the retail value of the formula in reality.

Also keep in mind that as a hospital going baby friendly you will be using FAR less formula.  Our hospital went from aprox 12% exclusive t0 60%.  So nowhere near 80,000.00 in formula costs :)

Hopefully that makes sense.  Don't let 'em scare you!

Denise Bulpitt BSN RN IBCLC
Dallas, TX

(happy to be back on lactnet, settled in my new home and now finished with chemo...a cancer warrior)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2