Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:12:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Gitte..... I often work with Moms of preemies, and my advice to them is to use a really good
double electric pump (ie Medela Lactina or Classic AE pump).  I have very little trust in the
store-bought types of pumps.  In my experience, they just don't perform as well as these Moms
need.  However, I'm glad to hear she's getting almost two ounces per pumping, only pumping every
four hours.  I usually recommend pumping every 3 hours during the day and every 4 at night for
10-15 minutes (both sides at one time).

Several of our Moms with tiny babies are having a very tough time keeping their milk supply
going.  I believe that not being able to hold the baby is a major factor in their demise.  Some
of these Moms have to wait over a month to even Kangaroo their baby!!  Many of them return to
work early, so they will have leave time saved up for when the baby comes home.  This, combined
with daily trips to the NICU, is very stressful.  Mom needs to be reminded to be gentle with
herself and to focus on self care, rest, good diet and keeping life simple for now.

Susan Wirtjes RN IBCLC

> .
>
>
>

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2