Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:39:41 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hi all!
We are all striving towards using evidenced based practice. Our problem is that there is not a lot of research to base a lot of our interventions. That is where discussion is very helpful. Clinical practice, asking questions and discussion is where we get the beginnings of research.  We need lively discussion on Lactnet!

Many times our experience with a strategy is very positive. So we are adamant in relating it.  For example, I know ice is used to reduce swelling, but heat is also used. Where is the research data that says that one is more effective than another???? So, we need to keep in mind we don't know all there is to know about certain things. 

On the other hand, when we are strong in stating an issue, let's not be too sensitive. In lively discussions, we use extremes of emotions to make our points. They are not meant to be personal. Men discuss ideas vehemently without feeling "hurt". 

One of the things that I have seen in my profession over the past 30+ years is nurses who "eat" their young and who don't support each other. Don't let that happen to us. We all have a common cause. We need each other.

Carol L'Esperance, RN, MSN, IBCLC, Albuquerque, NM

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2